Old 15-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Dee Randall

Default Biga breads - Carol Fields Bread book

I am a glutton for punishment because I started 4 more starters since I
can't do anything until Tuesday, when I get my new yeast Monday -- we live
in the sticks.

1) all purpose with sugar
2) all purpose without sugar
3) bread flour with sugar
4) bread flour without sugar

I'll tell you when I put thepictures of them on-line.
Thanks,
Dee

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
It's now 9 am and the starter has set 16 hours and hasn't raised or

lowered
any since last night. There may be a few more holes this morning. It

will
not flow out to the side easily. But it has that wine smell that I don't
like. Sometimes I get this smell when cooking bread; it smell horrid to

me.
But I threw it out this test. . I will make another test today using a
pinch of sugar with this current yeast. Then I will l buy a new batch of
yeast Monday and make another test Monday. The yeast I'm using is active
dry -- I think it's Fleischman's from Costco. I open a large bag and put

it
in Ball jars in the refrigerator. Perhaps it's been in there too long.

But
buying a new bag is the thing to do at this time.

Thanks for looking at my yeast.
I have more questions, but will ask when I'm up and around a little more.
Dee

"barry" wrote in message
et...
Dee,

The ciabatta and pizza look perfect to me.

No, I did not use any sugar in my starters. Your starter doesn't look

too
bad from what I can tell. Mine, at roughly 65% hydration, will flow

slowly
if I tilt the container on its side. They both give off a good, clean,
yeasty smell. I'd say you probably have weak yeast, but that's a guess.
You might try adding a pinch of sugar to the starter and stirring it up

bit. This might kick start the yeast.

I'm not sure whether being old yeast affects the number of cells in the
process or the strength of each cells or both. Somewhere I read that

yeast
colonies double every two hours. So, if that's the case, one would

expect
weak yeast to "catch up" in some period of time, say two hours. In

other
words,you would need a head start of two hours to get the volume and
activity with the old yeast that you would get with the fresh yeast. I
don't know if this is correct, or if it's even generalizable.

Barry

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
OK Barry, my test did not have sugar in it, and as you say yours did

not
have sugar in it -- correct?

Well, mine is sitting here at 21:46 and it has since 16:50 (5 hours),

room
temperature now about 70.5 degrees, just about doubled in size and

has
very
few holes in it. Now, my container lid is quite strong and when I

popped
(pryed) it off, it let out a lot of air. But I would say, that the

yeast
is probably not as good as it should be.
I've put a picture of the starter as it is now at 10:00 pm on a web

page
so
you can see it.
http://www.user.shentel.net/jar02/breadbydee.htm

Give me your "sage" advice.
Dee

"barry" wrote in message
et...

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
Barry, I just re-read your yeast testing information.
At 4:50 to 6:20 - when I opened up the container, it only puffed

at
me.
But I'm re-reading your paragraph "Check your yeast. where above

your
test
ingredients , you say to put a teaspoon of sugar -- But I tested

it
without
the sugar as you mentioned in your next sentence. I will re-test
tomorrow
with the sugar. I want my lid to be blown off.

Will let you know.
Dee
I made the two batches at about 4PM. They pop the lid about every

twenty
thirty minutes.

Each has 5 ounces flour (one has AP, the other bread flour), 3 1/4

ounces
water (cool) and 1 teaspoon dry yeast.

If your starter doesn't really pop the top off a sealed plastic

container,
then something might be wrong with the yeast.

Barry