Dee Randall

Default Biga breads - Carol Fields Bread book

I am a glutton for punishment because I started 4 more starters since I
can't do anything until Tuesday, when I get my new yeast Monday -- we live
in the sticks.

1) all purpose with sugar
2) all purpose without sugar
3) bread flour with sugar
4) bread flour without sugar

I'll tell you when I put thepictures of them on-line.
Thanks,
Dee

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> It's now 9 am and the starter has set 16 hours and hasn't raised or

lowered
> any since last night. There may be a few more holes this morning. It

will
> not flow out to the side easily. But it has that wine smell that I don't
> like. Sometimes I get this smell when cooking bread; it smell horrid to

me.
> But I threw it out this test. . I will make another test today using a
> pinch of sugar with this current yeast. Then I will l buy a new batch of
> yeast Monday and make another test Monday. The yeast I'm using is active
> dry -- I think it's Fleischman's from Costco. I open a large bag and put

it
> in Ball jars in the refrigerator. Perhaps it's been in there too long.

But
> buying a new bag is the thing to do at this time.
>
> Thanks for looking at my yeast.
> I have more questions, but will ask when I'm up and around a little more.
> Dee
>

> "barry" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Dee,
> >
> > The ciabatta and pizza look perfect to me.
> >
> > No, I did not use any sugar in my starters. Your starter doesn't look

too
> > bad from what I can tell. Mine, at roughly 65% hydration, will flow

> slowly
> > if I tilt the container on its side. They both give off a good, clean,
> > yeasty smell. I'd say you probably have weak yeast, but that's a guess.
> > You might try adding a pinch of sugar to the starter and stirring it up

> > bit. This might kick start the yeast.
> >
> > I'm not sure whether being old yeast affects the number of cells in the
> > process or the strength of each cells or both. Somewhere I read that

> yeast
> > colonies double every two hours. So, if that's the case, one would

expect
> > weak yeast to "catch up" in some period of time, say two hours. In

other
> > words,you would need a head start of two hours to get the volume and
> > activity with the old yeast that you would get with the fresh yeast. I
> > don't know if this is correct, or if it's even generalizable.
> >
> > Barry
> >

> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > > OK Barry, my test did not have sugar in it, and as you say yours did

> not
> > > have sugar in it -- correct?
> > >
> > > Well, mine is sitting here at 21:46 and it has since 16:50 (5 hours),

> room
> > > temperature now about 70.5 degrees, just about doubled in size and

has
> > very
> > > few holes in it. Now, my container lid is quite strong and when I

> popped
> > > (pryed) it off, it let out a lot of air. But I would say, that the

> yeast
> > > is probably not as good as it should be.
> > > I've put a picture of the starter as it is now at 10:00 pm on a web

page
> > so
> > > you can see it.
> > > http://www.user.shentel.net/jar02/breadbydee.htm