Posted to rec.food.cooking
Helen Harrand Helen Harrand is offline

Default Ovens

"Adam" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone
>
> I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven. To
> avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another

built-in
> electrical double oven.
>
> Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven? I've

noticed
> that prices vary enormously: is an oven that costs £1500 really 3 times
> better than one that costs £500, and if so, how? I'm struggling to imagine
> how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
> kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
> pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
> What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Adam

We did a kitchen remodel 2 years ago and I struggled with this very issue
for a long time. What I wanted was WAAAAAAAY too expensive and the only
reason that I wanted it was a weird reason anyway to most folks. When I was
working we had several Blodgett ovens where the doors opened like a French
door on a house would. They swing to the sides. I'm very short so this was
an ENORMOUS help to someone like me. Instead of having to reach over the
entire door to get whatever was in the oven out, you could step up to the
oven and pull it out. Well, at that time the ONLY household oven to do this
was the Gagganeau (sp?) and it topped $3K USD. I was NOT going to pay that
so what I ended up getting was a double convection Kitchenaid Superba. I
still have problems pulling pans out sometimes and have to step to the side
so that I don't burn the bodacious ta tas on the oven door. Having said
that, I do like this oven but I do wish I could have gotten the side swing
doors. I recently saw a program on TV and there is now one other company
making side swing doors for their ovens and that's Jade. I don't know
anytihng about them except that they were bright enough to make the doors
easier for us short folks.

Just my $.02 worth. The oven we got does work great tho.

helen