Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt Hunt is offline

Default merlot bloody merlot

In article >, says...

>I drink a fair amount of wine - chardonnays and blends mainly in the whites,
>and all of the red varieties. BUT, whenever I drink merlots, it seems I
>wake the next morning with a headache.
>
>Now, the only problem with this is that I can't believe the chemical
>composition of a merlot is significantly different from any other red. So
>is it just coincidence? Is it psychological? Or are merlots really
>different for some reason? And has anyone else experienced anything
>similar?
>
>Tim

I cannot address the compounds in Merlot, or most other wines, for that matter
- Calling Mark Lipton!

However, I experience similar problems with Pinot Noir. I love many examples
of that varietal, from Burg clones, to those of CA and WA/OR. However, with
the same general quantity of PN, as most other wines, reds & whites, I awake
with a headache. I hate it, as I love PN's. I just try and schedule my day a
tad later, if I know I'm doing a PN-tasting, or heading to a favorite FR
restaurant, where the Burgs are likely to flow.

Now, my wife suffers GI problems with most reds, except (as UC stated)
Sangiovese, and Zinfandel. Why this is, is beyond my comprehension. I'm just
offering these antecdotal ruminations to show that you have company, though
maybe not with regards to Merlot. OTOH, I probably do fewer Merlots, than many
other red varietals.

Hunt