Dee Randall

Default Biga breads - Carol Fields Bread book

It's now 9 am and the starter has set 16 hours and hasn't raised or lowered
any since last night. There may be a few more holes this morning. It will
not flow out to the side easily. But it has that wine smell that I don't
like. Sometimes I get this smell when cooking bread; it smell horrid to me.
But I threw it out this test. . I will make another test today using a
pinch of sugar with this current yeast. Then I will l buy a new batch of
yeast Monday and make another test Monday. The yeast I'm using is active
dry -- I think it's Fleischman's from Costco. I open a large bag and put it
in Ball jars in the refrigerator. Perhaps it's been in there too long. But
buying a new bag is the thing to do at this time.

Thanks for looking at my yeast.
I have more questions, but will ask when I'm up and around a little more.
Dee

"barry" > wrote in message
et...
> Dee,
>
> The ciabatta and pizza look perfect to me.
>
> No, I did not use any sugar in my starters. Your starter doesn't look too
> bad from what I can tell. Mine, at roughly 65% hydration, will flow

slowly
> if I tilt the container on its side. They both give off a good, clean,
> yeasty smell. I'd say you probably have weak yeast, but that's a guess.
> You might try adding a pinch of sugar to the starter and stirring it up a
> bit. This might kick start the yeast.
>
> I'm not sure whether being old yeast affects the number of cells in the
> process or the strength of each cells or both. Somewhere I read that

yeast
> colonies double every two hours. So, if that's the case, one would expect
> weak yeast to "catch up" in some period of time, say two hours. In other
> words,you would need a head start of two hours to get the volume and
> activity with the old yeast that you would get with the fresh yeast. I
> don't know if this is correct, or if it's even generalizable.
>
> Barry
>

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > OK Barry, my test did not have sugar in it, and as you say yours did

not
> > have sugar in it -- correct?
> >
> > Well, mine is sitting here at 21:46 and it has since 16:50 (5 hours),

room
> > temperature now about 70.5 degrees, just about doubled in size and has

> very
> > few holes in it. Now, my container lid is quite strong and when I

popped
> > (pryed) it off, it let out a lot of air. But I would say, that the

yeast
> > is probably not as good as it should be.
> > I've put a picture of the starter as it is now at 10:00 pm on a web page

> so
> > you can see it.
> > http://www.user.shentel.net/jar02/breadbydee.htm
> >
> > Give me your "sage" advice.