Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Watermelon Rind Pickle - serve with what?

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:07:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > Here's one of my favorite sayings:
>> > "The woman with a reputation as an early riser can sleep until noon."
>> > Get it? LOL!

>> The retired woman can sleep anytime. Of course the floor won't get swept...
>> Did you ever roast some of that corn (and add a little cumin for a
>> southwestern style)? I saw Bobby Flay do it once on TV for a corn salad sort
>> of
>> thing. Looked good to me. That way, if it's tough, you can say "oh, the
>> roasted
>> is nice and chewy like that, isn't it?"
>> I still got peaches from last year in the freezer I need to use. No need to
>> look for peaches this year.
>> Edrena

>LOL. I'm not into roasting corn. I've got "stewed tomatoes" in the BWB
>at the moment, though. About another 15-20 minutes to go.
>I always interpreted my quote above to mean that it doesn't matter what
>you do, what matters is what people THINK you do. "-)
>
>I'm thinkin' chili sauce next. The tomatoes I bought this morning are
>pretty sweet. They should make nice juice, too. If I get there. LOL!
>IBeCross-Eyed.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Just hope it isn't
the headlight of another train (more tomatoes to be picked.) Right
now I am cooking down manicotti sauce. I am planning to BWB the
stuff. I looked at the spaghetti sauce recipe in the new Ball book
and the proportion of high to low acid in my recipe is better than
theirs. I will also add citric acid to the jars.

Tomorrow I will make more ketchup. The first batch was OK but I
thought it was a little overcooked. Tomorrow I will be using paste
tomatoes so it should be better. Then the rest of the reds will go
into more manicotti sauce.

I have some yellow tomatoes. Think I will make the tomato/basil jam
with some of them. I will use the clear balsamic vinegar so the color
doesn't get muddy. My order of MCP pectin from Amazon arrived today.
The other yellows may go into Love Apple Jelly. The skin is yellow
but the flesh is sorta pink.

Hope we do not have too many more tomatoes right now. However Pete
says there are 21 watermelons in the garden. I hope that some of them
have a thick rind. Of course with that many I can afford to pick a
couple before they are completely ripe and maybe have enough rind.

Back to work. Think it is time to jar the sauce.

--
Susan N.