Posted to rec.food.cooking
Deb Dowding Deb Dowding is offline

Default Tater tot and Hotdog casserole

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
>> When I was a kid, my mom bought me a recipe book for children. It had
>> a recipe for Hot Dog Casserole that included tater tots and velveeta
>> cheese. Does anyone have this recipe or something similar? I searched
>> the web over, and can't find this strange combo anywhere.
>> Thanks,
>> tsinbg
>>

> I tested the following recipe a couple of days ago for a non-profit
> cookbook
> I'm working on. The results were surprisingly good. Not what I
> anticipated
> at all given the ingredients. Not exactly what you're for, but it does
> contain Tater Tots. Definitely comfort food or food that loves you.
>
> Chris
>
> Tater Tot Casserole
>
> 1 pkg. frozen tater tots
>
> 2 lbs. raw hamburger
>
> 1 bag frozen veggie of your choice (corn, peas, or green beans are best)
>
> 2 cans cream soup of your choice (Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom
> work
> best in my opinion) a little bit of milk (about 1/4 cup)
>
> Preheat oven to 375°.
>
> On the bottom of a 13x9x2 casserole dish, press the raw hamburger in a
> flat
> even layer. Then spread an even layer of the frozen tater tots, followed
> by
> a layer of the frozen veggie. In a bowl or measuring cup, empty the two
> cans
> of cream soup and mix with a small amount of milk to thin it. Pour the
> soup
> mixture over the top of the casserole layers.
>
> Bake at 375 for 60-75 minutes, until the top layer browns a little, the
> hamburger is cooked through, and the tots are crisping when you check
> underneath.
>
> You can cut this recipe easily in half and use an 8x8 square baking dish.
>
> Feeds 2-4 people cut in half.

My mom used to make this when I was a kid. She browned the burger and
drained it, then put it on the bottom of the casserole dish. Everything
else was the same, except she sprinkled 1/2 pkg of onion soup mix over the
mushroom soup and she put the tater tots on top so they would be crispy.
Wow, that brings back memories.

Deb