Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris Marksberry Chris Marksberry is offline

Default Tater tot and Hotdog casserole

> > Bake at 375 for 60-75 minutes, until the top layer browns a little, the
> > hamburger is cooked through, and the tots are crisping when you check
> > underneath.

> Sounds a like a good use for 90+% lean ground beef. I sure
> wouldn't make it with the cheaper 70% hamburger. I also wonder
> how the tater tots could get as crispy as the recipe implies (with
> 24 oz's of goop surrounding them).
>
> I'd at least note the hamburger fat content suggestion in the
> recipe. 30% fatty hamburger would be almost 10oz of pure,
> rendered fat (some would be retained in the meat, of course).
>
> -sw

Steve,

I used ground chuck for the bottom layer and patted it down firmly with a
fork. Didn't come out fatty, but yeah I think 30% fatty hamburger would be
pretty greasy. The bottom of the casserole came out like an extra tender
minute steak. Since this a "test recipe" deal no tweaking is allowed...
the recipe has to be prepared as written. If I had not been doing the test
thing I would have added some Cajun seasoning.

Towards the end of the baking time the taters tots kinda came to the top
(surprisingly) and they were somewhat crunchy and not soggy.

BTW, has Spec's Liquors opened in Austin yet?

Chris