Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.cooking-chat,uk.business.agriculture
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default Desperate to support "ar"

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message

> "Dutch" > wrote in message

> fit,

> that's

> by

> we

> gospel?
>> >>

>> > but who actually cares one way or another whether he feels guilt or
>> > not?

>> Like most things, it has relevance in this context.

> but it isn't worth wasting however many years bickering about. Wander
> about
> the real world and no one cares

I decide what is worth my time, I don't abdicate that judgment to anyone.

> given the situation in the world with probable global warming, a nice war
> brewing in the middle east and society struggling to cope with energy
> distribution this discussion verges on escapism, especially when it has
> been
> going round and round for so long

What's wrong with escapism?

>> > eat meat if you like it

>> Right, just don't try to claim you did the animal a favour.

> now you are back on ideology again,

That's the theme of alt.animals.vegetarian.

> The animal is there

It's not just "there", we arrange for it to be there.

> it is being looked after

I hope so.

> its life expectancy is higher than it would be in the wild because the
> wild
> is pretty rough

The animal is not a wild specie, didn't come from the wild, and under no
circumstances would have come into existence in the wild, so that is an
illegitimate comparison. That's just a watered-down version of the Logic of
Larder where we claim that we do livestock animals a favour by bringing them
into existence.