Dee Randall

Default Biga breads - Carol Fields Bread book

Barry, I just re-read your yeast testing information.
At 4:50 to 6:20 - when I opened up the container, it only puffed at me.
But I'm re-reading your paragraph "Check your yeast. where above your test
ingredients , you say to put a teaspoon of sugar -- But I tested it without
the sugar as you mentioned in your next sentence. I will re-test tomorrow
with the sugar. I want my lid to be blown off.

Will let you know.
Dee

"barry" > wrote in message
et...

> > What do you think about using "King Arthur" (DRIED) "Diastatic Malt

> Powder"
> > 1 teaspoon. I have on hand also "Non-Diastatic Malt Powder."

> Should work.
>
> > Yes, my starter worked alright previously. (It is the bigas left in the
> > refrigerator that definitely don't work for me.)
> > ****

> I've had trouble with stored starters, too. I now make them all fresh when

> need them. (Knead them? <g> )
>
> > I'm going to do testing on your suggestion: at 16:50 using this:
> >
> > I'm testing a couple of batches of starter -- 5 ounces flour,
> > > 3 1/4 ounces water, 1 teaspoon yeast -- one with all-purpose

> > My house is 69 degrees.
> >
> > ****
> > During these biga-making recipes, my house was always cool. When I made

> the
> > breads I always feel I erred on the "cool side" because I don't like a

> real
> > quick rise, mainly I don't like the taste of over-yeasted bread and that

> was
> > the reason for my failures. As Carol Fields says to take the dough out

of
> > the refrigerator and put it into the processor if you are using a

> processor,
> > because you don't want the dough to heat up.
> > ****

> I've had such varied luck with "remove the dough from the refrigerator one
> hour before use..." that I ignore the time and go by the temperature.
>

> > Your comment, Barry
> > Your comment that the thing was like a cracker leads me to think that

the