Kate Connally

Default minced zest of 1 orange?

Dunter Powries wrote:

> Charles Gifford > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "Scott" > wrote in message

> orange".
> > >
> > > Scrape off the colored part of the peel, avoiding as much of the white
> > > part as possible. The colored portion contains all of the flavor and
> > > aroma; the white (the pith) is bitter. A microplane works best, IMHO;
> > > gourmet food stores usually sell them, but you can save a lot of money
> > > by buying the exact same thing at a hardware store. They also sell
> > > little devices which are specifically made for zesting, but they're
> > > pretty monopurpose.
> > >
> > > Dedicated-purpose zesters basically create long strips; the microplane
> > > creates ready-minced zest.

> > No way does a microplane create minced zest. Microplanes produce very

> finely
> > grated zest.
> >
> > After removing the zest into strips by any method, one then uses a knife

> > mince the zest.

> What's the point of going to the trouble of making strips of zest and then
> mincing it? Just grate the orange in the first place... lightly, of course.

I always hated grating because it's too easy to get too
much pith. When I discovered zesters I got one and that's
what I use to this day. Zest, then mince. Much better
control of what part of the peel you get, thus yielding
much better taste.

Also with graters a lot of the peel remains in the
grater and you have to spend a lot of time trying to
scrape it out. A lot of it gets wasted because it's
impossible to get it all off the grater without rinsing
it under running water. Major nuisance.

My aunt just got a microplane grater. I don't know
how well it works yet. I'll have to ask her if she's
used it yet and if it works better than a regulare
grater. The main thing she got it for was grating
citrus rinds. I didn't like the look of it myself.
It look lethal and like it would be overkill for
small things like lemon or lime. That sucker is nearly
a foot long. I'd be afraid I'd grate my knuckles off
trying to use it. I'll stick to my zester.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”