Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default Where's everybody gone?

"Leif Erikson" > wrote in message ink.net...
> Misterina wrote:
>
> >>Not as authorities, per se, but their show BULLSHIT exposes frauds and
> >>pseudoscience and other irrational nonsense. "Alternative medicine" is
> >>bullshit.

> > What happens if and when it works?

> It doesn't.

It most certainly does.

'Kidney function
* Results of study: Kidney function improves after the application of
reflexology work. "Using colour (sic) Doppler sonography blood flow
changes of the right kidney during foot reflexology were determine in
a placebo-controlled, double blind, randomised (sic) study. 32 healthy
young adults (17 women, 15 men) were randomly assigned to the
verum or placebo group. The verum group received foot reflexology
at zones corresponding to the right kidney, the placebo group was
treated on other foot zones. Before, during and after foot reflexology,
the blood flow of three vessels of the right kidney was measured using
colour Doppler sonography. Systolic peak velocity and end diastolic
peak velocity was measured in cm/s, and the resistive index a parameter
of the vascular resistance, was calculated. The resistive index in the
verum group showed a highly significant decrease (p</=0.001) during
and an increase (p=0.001) after foot reflexology. There was no difference
between men and women and no difference between smokers and
non-smokers. Verum and placebo groups significantly differed
concerning alterations of the restive index, both between the measuring
points before versus during foot reflexology (p=0.002) and those during
versus after reflexology (p=0.031). The significant decrease of the
resistive index during foot reflexology in the verum (treatment) group
indicates a decrease of flow resistance in the renal vessels and an
increase of renal blood flow. These findings support the hypothesis
that organ-associate foot reflexology is effective in changing renal
blood flow during therapy."
(PMID: 14060981, UI: 99392031)Sudmeier, I., Bodner, G., Egger, I.,
Mur, E., Ulmer, H. and Herold, M. (Universitatsklinik fur Innere Medizin,
Inssbruk, Austria) "Anderung der nierendurchblutung durch
organassoziierte reflexzontherapie am fuss gemussen mit farbkodierter
doppler-sonograhpie," Forsch Komplementarmed 1999, Jum;6(3):129-34
(PMID: 14060981, UI: 99392031) '

'Brief Descriptions:
Reflexology Research & Case Studies
Barbara and Kevin Kunz, Reflexology Research Project

Directory

*Controlled study

Absenteeism/Employee morale
Acne
*Alzheimer's
*Amenorrhea
Anemia
Angina
Arteriosclerosis
Arthritis
Asthma
Biofeedback assessment
Birthing
Bronchitis
*Cancer
*Cardio-vascular system (baroreceptor reflex sensitivity,
blood pressure and sinus arrhythmia)
*Cerebral palsy
*Cervical spondylosis
Chest pain
Children / mentally retarded
*Constipation
*Coronary heart disease
*Diabetes
Diagnosis
Dysmenorrhea
*Dyspepsia
Ear disorders in children
Eczema
Edema in Pregnancy
Emotional needs
Encopresis
Enuresis
Fatigue
*Free radicals
Headache
Hospice / palliative care
*Hyperlipimia
* Impotence
*Infantile pneumonia
Infertility
Irritable bowel syndrome
*Kidney function
*Kidney and ureter stones
*Leukopenia
*Menopause
Mental health
Migraine headache
*Milk secretion in new mothers
Multiple sclerosis
*Neurodermatitis
Nervous exhaustion
Pain
Pain (kidney & ureter stones)
Pain of herniated disc
Pain (post surgical)
Pain (shoulder)
Paralysis
*Post surgical recovery
*Premenstrual syndrome
*Prostate (hyperplasia)
Prostate (hypertrophy - enlarged)
Psoriasis
Rhinitis
*Sexual dysfunction
*Sinusitis
Stroke
*Toothache
*Urinary tract stones
*Urinary tract infection
*Uroschesis (retention of urine)

Absenteeism/Employee morale/Specific health benefits/General health benefits

* Reflexology work saved a Danish employer US$3,300 a month in
fewer sick days for employees in addition to improving the work
environment. ". Reflexology had been used to help the staff of the
Scandinavian Airline's Cargo Department. They employ
approximately 60 people and handle 2.4 million documents a year.
Here is a statement made by the employees:
" 'Our work is done through computers and people spending many
hours in a chair doing their work, resulting in aching shoulders and
back. Since we employed our reflexologist . we have experienced a
substantial decrease of people being ill and away from work. The
approximate amount is 20,000 Danish kroner a month (US$3,300).
It has not only a physical effect, but also a psychological effect.
There is a much better atmosphere in the department, because the
employees feel there is something being done about their problems...
Before we used to stay at home when ill, now we see the staff go
to work anyway because they know they can get a treatment and
feel better.'" Eriksen, Leila, Reflexology: Research and Effect
Evaluation in Denmark, Danish Reflexologists Association,
Denmark, August 1995, pp. 15 - 16

.. "Over a 2 year period a reflexologist employed by the Telecom
firm of Taastrup, Denmark treated 156 employees who experienced
positive effects on back pains, the musculo-skeletal system, headache,
migraine, stomach/intestinal sufferings. Sickness leave was reduced."
(http://www.fdz-intranet.dk/english/research/results.htm) Eriksen,
Leila, "A Close-up View on Company Reflexology," Danish
Reflexologists Association Research Committee Report, Feb., 1995

.. "Three reflexologists employed by the municipality treated 143
patients over a 6 month period. 79% were either cured or helped
with their primary health problem. 57% were helped with secondary
problems. 30% became more satified with their jobs and 92% wanted
to continue reflexology."
(http://www.fdz-intranet.dk/english/research/results.htm) Kristensen,
Karin, Rasmussen, Inge, and Møller, Elsebeth, "Take Good Care of
Your Fellow Employees, Reflexology as personnel care in the Århus
District Corporation," Danish Reflexologists Association Research
Committee Report, Feb., 1995 (Originally published in
Zonetherapeuten, (The FDZ Journal), No. 1, 1996)

.. "Staff of the municipality of Ishoj was treated by a reflexologist.
During 6 month the municipality saved DKK 215,00 as
absenteeism was reduced with 2,500 hours as compared to the
previous year." (http://www.fdzintranet.dk/english/research/results.htm)
Eriksen, Leila, "Municipal Reflexology," Danish Reflexologists
Association Research Committee Report, Feb., 1995

.. "In a three year peiod 235 employees were treated for a variety
of health problems. 170 reported a good effect. 60 had some effect
whereas 5 had no effect. Absenteeism was reduced from 11.4 to
8.5 days per person per year, implying savings of more than 1 million
Danish kroner." (http://www.fdz-intranet.dk/english/research/results.htm)
Madsen, Synnøve and Andersen, Jette, "Postal Reflexology,"
Danish Reflexologists Association Research Committee Report, Feb., 1995

.. "A report on Company Reflexology as appled in the Danish
municipality of Svendborg. Involves 52 female employees. 97.5% had
positive effects on their primary ailments. 77.5% on secondary problems.
Medicine intake was reduce with 27.5% and absenteeism with
65.9%" (http://www.fdz-intranet.dk/english/research/results.htm)
Terp, Hanne, "Municipal Reflexology in Svendborg, A study of the
effect of reflexology treatment in the eastern district of the municipality.

Acne
Thirty eight cases of acne were ages 18 to 29. All were treated with
a daily reflexology session for 10 days as a course of treatment.
All were successfully cured by foot reflexotherapy work: 5 after
3 courses, 26 after 4 courses, 4 after 5 courses and 3 after 6 courses.
Dong Dahai, Xiang Xiangdong, Shi Yanling, Kong Zhifeng, Dong
Congjun, "Treatment of 38 Cases of Acne with Foot Reflexotherapy," 1998
China Reflexology Symposium Report, China Reflexology Association,
Beijing, pp. 62-6

Alzheimer's
Alzheimer's patients saw a reduction in body stiffness and arthritis
as well as alleviation of the illness's symptoms of restlessness and
wandering following reflexology work.
"Old age converts to the New Age," Daily Mail (England),
September 14, 1995

Amenorrhea
* Ninety-five cases of amenorrhea were divided into two groups,
a foot reflex therapy treatment group of 50 and a control group of
45 with participants using traditional Chinese medicine tablets.
The effective rate of the foot reflex therapy group was 96%
compared to the control group rate of 33%.
Xiu-hua, Xu, "Analysis of 50 Cases of Amenorrhea Treated by
Foot Reflex Therapy," (19)96 Beijing International Reflexology
Conference (Report), China Preventive Medical Association and
the Chinese Society of Reflexology, Beijing, 1996, p. 36

Anemia
A forty-six year-old woman with megaloblastic anemia was treated
with foot reflexology. At the start of foot reflexology treatment
her WBC/mm measured 4200 and hemoglobin 5.5. After three
months of foot reflexology treatment she could walk. WBC/mm
measured 8200 and hemoglobin measured 11.0.
Yong-gui, Yang, "A Case Report on Treatment of Megaloblastic
Anemia with Paraplegia by Foot Reflexology," 1994 China Reflexology
Symposium Report, China Reflexology Association, Beijing, p. 48
(Worker's Hospital of Zhuhai Chentang Enterprise, Tianjin, China)

http://www.reflexology-research.com/abstracts.htm