barry

Default Biga breads - Carol Fields Bread book

> What do you think about using "King Arthur" (DRIED) "Diastatic Malt

Powder"
> 1 teaspoon. I have on hand also "Non-Diastatic Malt Powder."

Should work.

> Yes, my starter worked alright previously. (It is the bigas left in the
> refrigerator that definitely don't work for me.)
> ****

I've had trouble with stored starters, too. I now make them all fresh when I
need them. (Knead them? <g> )

> I'm going to do testing on your suggestion: at 16:50 using this:
>
> I'm testing a couple of batches of starter -- 5 ounces flour,
> > 3 1/4 ounces water, 1 teaspoon yeast -- one with all-purpose

> My house is 69 degrees.
>
> ****
> During these biga-making recipes, my house was always cool. When I made

the
> breads I always feel I erred on the "cool side" because I don't like a

real
> quick rise, mainly I don't like the taste of over-yeasted bread and that

was
> the reason for my failures. As Carol Fields says to take the dough out of
> the refrigerator and put it into the processor if you are using a

processor,
> because you don't want the dough to heat up.
> ****

I've had such varied luck with "remove the dough from the refrigerator one
hour before use..." that I ignore the time and go by the temperature.

> Your comment, Barry
> Your comment that the thing was like a cracker leads me to think that the
> > yeast isn't active or that you killed it somehow.

> I made a ciabatta (another recipe - not Carol Fields') and used the same
> yeast. No problem. But I'm testing it at your suggestion.

If the yeast works one time then it will probably work another time, eh.

Now I'm wondering if it's just as simple as being a starter that's been in
the refrigerator.

Barry