Reidİ

Default Fancy restaurants

Following up to Siobhan Perricone

>How can they justify charging me $25 for an entree that has completely
>uninteresting mashed potatoes? Ok, maybe they were trying to recreate some
>British thing (the place we had this at bills itself as high end British
>fare).
>
>Maybe that's what it was. These were British mashed potatoes. But they
>*really* needed some butter, maybe a bit of cream. They were sooooo bland.

Quite a lot of top end British restaurants would do bangers and
mash, its quite a fashionable thing over the last couple of years
to pick up on trad things and will appear on menus along side
lobster creations or whatever. Harvey Nicks 5th floor did it last
time I was there.
I would expect the sausages to be nice and herby and the potato
to be pretty plain (how plain yours were is impossible to judge
electronically). I wouldn't expect cream or amounts of butter
that really "noticed". I would expect something like an onion
gravy with it and it would be common for the mash to be flavoured
with something, a herb, horseradish, mustard.
At the end of the day a place cannot please everyone I suppose.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso