anna maria

Default strange plant

anna maria wrote:
> I was in Rome last february and I took several pictures in the Campo de'
> Fiori farmers market. Today I was looking at the pictures and I saw on
> one of them a strange plant I didn't notice before.
>
> I am publishing part of the picture at this address
>
> http://www.annamariavolpi.com/misterious_plant.html
>
> The plant looks like a gigantic sage with leaves about one foot long. I
> have never seen it before.
>
> Does anyone know what it is?
>
> Ciao,
>
> Anna Maria
>

> http://www.annamariavolpi.com/page28.html

I posted on the Italian food newsgroup and discovered that this plant is
a sage! I have never seen it so big, but apparently few varieties of
sage of this type come from Southern America. One of the posters said
she has a sage plant with leaves up to 8 inch long. There is a recipe
for fried sage leaves in Italian cooking and she said this is the best
variety to use for it.