Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef)

The Cook wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:32:14 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>>> So why don't you move home and help take care of him? And provide a
>>> little respite for your mother? You've got time on your hands.

>> I have offered! I'm told I'm not wanted. Dad specifically said he
>> doesn't want me to move there. So what am I supposed to do???
>>
>> Jill
>>

> What does you mother say? Does she have no input into the situation?
> Or do you have a man with dementia calling the shots?

You made the point succinctly. She has no input. We're talking about a
woman who has never had a job in her life. She has occasionally stood up
for herself but really, she won't write a check without permission. She's
never been a position to have any say in anything; she was raised to believe
the MAN is in control because he was the breadwinner. It's the way things
were and the way things still are in her world.

> Just to let you know that I do understand, my mother died from
> Alzheimer. I made the decisions even tho she did not like them. There
> is nothing like driving 200 miles with you mother crying all the way.
> (Moving her to where we lived.)

I am very sorry to hear that. It's not something I wish on anyone. My mom
is more cognizant than my father, although I will say she called me on my
birthday last week and then didn't remember why she had called me. Then she
had to ask me how old I am. (sigh)

I don't have the funds to move my parents anywhere, nor do I have the funds
to move their without their assistance. So... I guess we're all just sort
of stuck being unhappy.

Jill