Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito Mr Libido Incognito is offline

Default Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef)

jmcquown wrote on 29 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Peter wrote:

> >> My question is, who appointed you chief cook and bottle-washer?
> >> Corned beef
> >> is not served "cubed". It's sliced thinly against the grain after
> >> being boiled or baked or even crock-potted for a long slow cooking
> >> time. At least
> >> you got the cabbage part right

> > Your question about who appointed me serves no purpose here I
> > don't know how corn beef is traditional served and that was not my
> > question. I'm trying to apply it to how I want it served as an
> > alternative to salt beef which I can not find localy at this time.
> >
> > Thankfully, you not being the chef, I figured out after a lengthy
> > boiling (approx 90-120 minutes for those trying the same), it became
> > very tender, eating a bowl of great stew as we speak.

> I'm not THE chef, but I know how to cook corned beef brisket. Why on
> earth would it need to be cubed? Corned beef is sliced across the
> grain thinly and served with steamed cabbage and sometimes sliced
> carrots and cubed potatoes. I have no idea what you're talking about
> when you say "cubed" corned beef.
>
> Jill

err Jill? Go back and read his first posting...The guy is using corned
beef as a subsitute for salted beef...hence the cubing. He is not making
Corned beef and cabbage....Salt beef is somewhat like salt cod...(except
it is beef AFAIK)...Corned beef is soaked in a brine...hence suitable as
a substitution.

Newfies (people from Newfoundland) find work all over Canada....but can't
find their regional foods everywhere. They have a rich culture and a
language all their own (even if it is based on English and Galic).
You have to live 5 or 6 generations in Newfounland to be thought of as an
Islander and not "from away".

Newfoundland is probably the first inhabited (from Europe) chunk of land
over here in N. America....Something about Viking settlements excavation
sites before the 1400's (probably before the 1000's). Even myths about
Irish monks coming over in ox skin round boats and relics found from
around the 1200's.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan