Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter[_6_] Peter[_6_] is offline

Default Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef)

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> I usualy make traditional salt beef stew (east cost stew, newfie
>> stew), with salt beef, lots of cabbage, etc. Well, I have been
>> having a hard time finding the stuff recently so I purchased corned
>> beef instead today, which is similar in its salinity, which gives the
>> stew a unique taste, but very different cuts of meat
>>
>> My issue is, that it's not getting tender as salt beef usualy did, the
>> corned beef tastes great but is very tough texture.
>>
>> My plan at the moment is to cut it in very thin slices instead of
>> cubing next time. I think there might be a better alternative?
>> Anyone know a good natural way to tenderize corned beef while keeping
>> it cubed?

> My question is, who appointed you chief cook and bottle-washer? Corned
> beef
> is not served "cubed". It's sliced thinly against the grain after being
> boiled or baked or even crock-potted for a long slow cooking time. At
> least
> you got the cabbage part right

Your question about who appointed me serves no purpose here I don't know
how corn beef is traditional served and that was not my question. I'm trying
to apply it to how I want it served as an alternative to salt beef which I
can not find localy at this time.

Thankfully, you not being the chef, I figured out after a lengthy boiling
(approx 90-120 minutes for those trying the same), it became very tender,
eating a bowl of great stew as we speak.