Matt

Default British Ban Canadian Saskatoon Berry Products

"Fudge" > wrote in message
.. .
> Seems the British have banned Canadian made jams, jellies and syrups
> containing Saskatoon berries. They think there is something harmful in the
> berries? The Queen and her offspring have gobbled down large quantities of
> this prairie delicacy during their time at the trough here in Canada. If
> such a product is fit for the Queen of England, surely Saskatoon berries

can
> be consumed by the peasants. Something is wrong here.
>
> Farmer John

My understanding was that the ban only existed when they first tried to sell
the Saskatoon berries there because " it [Britain] says there is no history
of the fruit being eaten safely in Europe. " There was a trade meeting last
Thursday and as of today the berries can be imported into Europe but only
with a "Novel" designation attached. Canada is currently working to get
around that, too.

See http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/040422/w042252.html

-Matt