Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books
Francis A. Miniter Francis A. Miniter is offline

Default "Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

Adam Funk wrote:

>On 2006-07-26, > wrote:
>

>>>By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
>>>Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? ...
>>>

>>No. They are all blends, but some aren't bad.
>>
>>My Canadian relatives referred to all whiskey as "rye," regardless of
>>its origin or content.
>>

>That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
>Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
>"rye".

Now I am wondering about that line from "American Pie":

So bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die, this'll be the day that I die.

Whisk(e)y _and_ rye?

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit
producers tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and
Canadian distillers use the spelling "whisky"?

Francis A. Miniter