Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.drink
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Buying a Distiller

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jacqui{JB}" > wrote:
>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>
>>> On eBay I've seen glass distillers, Italian
>>> copper distillers (advertised as fully functional
>>> but for decorative use only, whatever the heck
>>> that means),

>> They have to say that because it's generally illegal to distill your own
>> spirits. It's a taxation issue.

> No it's not.
> You are allowed to brew a specific amount of alcohol per year for
> personal consumption only. You just cannot legally sell it without a
> liquor license.

That is extremely wrong. The kind of wrong where revenuer (BATF)
snipers murder your wife and kids. (look up "Randy Weaver")

You are confusing beer and wine with distilled spirits. The former is
legal in the USA up to a rather high limit (IIRC it's 100 gallons per
adult in the household per year), and the latter is illegal just about
everywhere except New Zealand.

Best regards,
Bob