Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leila Leila is offline

Default Perfect way to spend a brutal-sizzling-miserably hot day

TammyM wrote:
> I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago. The truck
> is air conditioned, the store is air conditioned and my house is air
> conditioned, and I'm STILL all sweaty and icky. I put the stuff away,
> took a nice cool shower, and just settled back on the sofa with a
> Fresca and a stack of cookbooks. The beer will come at a more
> respectable hour.
>
> Steve Wertz really enticed me with that gyro recipe, damn his wicked
> heart <g> And Pandora also with that lovely veggie carbonara. I may
> make one, I may make both, I may make good on my threat to just do
> salad for dinner. Or I might just drink beer.
>
> Time will tell.
>
> toodles for now,
> TammyM

I made "hippie salad" for lunch, second day in a row. It's lots of raw
chopped veggies, raw corn kernels, a bit of mint, scallion, red leaf
lettuce, whatever, and a lemon-garlic vinaigrette. Of course a real
hippie salad would have a tamari-tahini dressing and sunflower seeds,
which mine didn't. The point is, I never used to make raw veggie
salads, but with the unusual heat in the bay area I just don't feel
like cooking.

"Raw foods" are a trend these days. I've avoided getting on that
bandwagon, but in the heat of summer, when the produce is fresh and
fabulous and the kitchen is danged hot (we don't have a/c because
usually you only need it one or two days a year in this town) - raw
food it is.

Also - looseleaf Earl Grey tea steeped with fresh mint, sweetened with
wildflower honey - excellent and refreshing. Hot tea makes you sweat
and cool off, it's why the Pakistanis, Indians and other denizens of
hot countries drink it.

Leila