Mark Floerke

Default Whole wheat flour and aging

Before Millers started to oxidize flour with ascorbic acid, it was required
to age it for 3 to 6 months to get the proper oxidation for the protein and
colour. Down side is whole wheat with the germ won't last you more than a
month un-refrigerated, and it goes rancid. The free fatty acids interfere
with gluten development and fermentation, and will make very small heavy
tight loaves, even before you can smell or taste any rancidity.
Bread machine flours usually also have additional gluten, as well as
enzymes, ADA and AA as the machines usually run on a short fermentation
cycle, rather than the traditional straight time process. (Straight = 1 hour
punch & divide/round + 30 minutes - punch and mould + 1 hour final proof +
30 min bake)

Mr. Pastry