Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Dragonstone, Hiedler, and Passavant

DaleW wrote:
> Betsy left for California Monday morning, that evening I cowered in the
> air conditioning and sipped the 2005 Leitz Dragonstone QbA. Others seem
> to be less enthused re this vintage, but once again, this is emerging
> as a favorite value for me - peachy sweetness balanced by clear acids,
> green apple and white peach fruit overlaid with herbs and a little
> mineral. Nice little wine that could pass for a decent Spätlese. B+

Good to hear about the '05. As you know, I've been enjoying some '04
QbAs recently, having managed to get Jean past her aversion to Rieslings
after 15 years :-) [Now, if only I can get her to appreciate aged white
wines...] I recently picked up the '04 and '05 "Dr. L" (despite David
Bueker's dismissal) and will duly report on them as opportunity presents
itself.

> The following night, I took some kids from upstate on a Midnight Run
> before dropping them at the church in the city where they were staying.
> As I headed up the West Side Highway, a southbound Jeep came flying
> (literally) over the median and smashed into the back of the Excursion
> I was driving. I spun either 900° or 1260°. Miraculously, I wasn't
> really hurt (folks in other car were, but not as bad as it could have
> been). The real miracle was those kids weren't in the Excursion at
> time. When I eventually made it home , for once I thought I actually
> NEEDED a drink. So now the Dragonstone seemed more complex, with rich
> mineral notes and serious depth. It might have been the time open that
> improved it further, but my guess it was my mood! As a post major
> accident quaff, the Dragonstone gets a solid A.

Wow! What a story. I *hate* the Westside Highway (though not as much as
the CBE) and that is one scary experience. A similar thing happened to
two close friends of ours in Philadelphia many years ago, except the
airborne vehicle hit the /front/ of their car, with far worse
consequences, though fortunately non-fatal ones.

My recent experience with context: last night, after three hours of
weeding* the back yard in sweltering conditions, I washed the sweat off
myself and poured myself the last glass of a Dr. Thanisch '04 Riesling
QbA: alas, still not too exciting, but fine as a thirst quencher along
with 2 L of cold water.

> 2004 Hiedler "Löss" Grüner Veltliner
> Lovely light-bodied GV. Lemon and apple fruit sprinkled with white
> pepper, a bit of chalky mineral on the finish. Excellent value at about
> $12, looking forward to the 2005. B+

Any idea how '05 was in Austria? I'm still acquiring '04s myself. I
think that I own this wine, matter of fact.

Mark Lipton

* If digging 20' of bamboo runners out of the ground can be termed
weeding rather than excavation. For the first time in my life, I broke a
spade (the metal part) trying to lever some bamboo culms out of the ground.