Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@ij.net is offline

Default Smoking Salmon

On 18-Jul-2006, "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> "tmfast" > wrote in message
> > Hey all,
> > I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> > vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> > their advise on their bullet site.
> > I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> > lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
> > Last time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs.
> > Smoked it over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is
> > no
> > sugar taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the
> > salmon I find in those small packages from Alaska.
> > Does anyone have any advise?
> >

> I'm willing to bet that those 'small packages' are cold smoked and not hot
>
> smoked like we do over burning embers of wood.
>
> I rarely brine salmon anymore but instead just sprinkle black pepper,
> ground
> chile, a little dill and a little salt and smoke it skin side down at
> about
> 250 or so until the fish is firm and the yellow oil puddles appear on the
> surface. I think this takes just under an hour, but can't recall as my
> brain becomes more feeble due to age and general mismanagement.
>
> Jack

A friend gave me one of those little packages of Alaskan smoked salmon.
It's dark red, but it don't look cooked. My friend has a son that lives in
AK.
He keeps sending stuff packed with dry ice even though his dad says to
stop it. The freight is something like US$50. I like salmon, but not that
well.

--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)