Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default Making jelly less set

In article > ,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article t>,
> > "Anny Middon" > wrote:
> >
> >> I made two kinds of jelly recently and both came out harder than I would
> >> like. I may go ahead and enter one in the fair anyway -- the building
> >> with
> >> the exhibits is not air-conditioned, so maybe the heat will soften it up
> >> bit. :-)
> >>
> >> Is there anyway to reprocess jelly and make it softer? Can I add some
> >> more
> >> juice and sugar and reheat and re-BWB, or will the extra processing
> >> disturb
> >> the jell?
> >>
> >> Anny

> > I surely would not mess with it now, Anny. Uh-uh. I can't imagine that
> > heating it enough to re-liquefy it could possibly do it any good. OTOH,
> > maybe you want to re-do ONE jar by melting it and adding a tbsp or so of
> > water and re-doing.
> >
> > So Easy to Preserve (The U of GA's excellent publication, due out
> > momentarily with a new revision) says to adjust after the first batch by
> > using 1/4 to 1/2 cup more fruit or juice with added-pectin-recipes. For
> > products without added pectin, shorten the cooking time (cook to a lower
> > temp.) Duh. If you've got more juice, maybe you want to give that a
> > shot. Prolly won't help you now, though. :-(
> >
> > I'm guessing here, btw.

> Thanks, Barb. I may make another flavor for the fair or just resign myself
> to getting no ribbon for my jelly.

Heck, see what the judges have to say about it, Anny. You might be
surprised. Commercially-made jams are rather stiff but most fair judges
want to see some movement or slippage in the jar when it's tipped.
Jelly is supposed to cleave and maintain the cut after.

> It tastes good, but I know the fault for its stiffness is totally mine. I
> combined two recipes and when I measured the juice I had I found I didn't
> have enough so I reduced the sugar and pectin accordingly. With so much
> screwing around it's no wonder the set isn't right.
>
> Anny

How short were you? If less than about 1/2-3/4 cup, I'd make up the
difference either with water or apple juice. If I were shy more than
that, I'd maybe consider another recipe or make only half a recipe of
that one. BTW, if you don't mind, what were you making?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch