Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default Making jelly less set

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article t>,
> "Anny Middon" > wrote:
>
>> I made two kinds of jelly recently and both came out harder than I would
>> like. I may go ahead and enter one in the fair anyway -- the building
>> with
>> the exhibits is not air-conditioned, so maybe the heat will soften it up
>> bit. :-)
>>
>> Is there anyway to reprocess jelly and make it softer? Can I add some
>> more
>> juice and sugar and reheat and re-BWB, or will the extra processing
>> disturb
>> the jell?
>>
>> Anny

> I surely would not mess with it now, Anny. Uh-uh. I can't imagine that
> heating it enough to re-liquefy it could possibly do it any good. OTOH,
> maybe you want to re-do ONE jar by melting it and adding a tbsp or so of
> water and re-doing.
>
> So Easy to Preserve (The U of GA's excellent publication, due out
> momentarily with a new revision) says to adjust after the first batch by
> using 1/4 to 1/2 cup more fruit or juice with added-pectin-recipes. For
> products without added pectin, shorten the cooking time (cook to a lower
> temp.) Duh. If you've got more juice, maybe you want to give that a
> shot. Prolly won't help you now, though. :-(
>
> I'm guessing here, btw.

Thanks, Barb. I may make another flavor for the fair or just resign myself
to getting no ribbon for my jelly.

It tastes good, but I know the fault for its stiffness is totally mine. I
combined two recipes and when I measured the juice I had I found I didn't
have enough so I reduced the sugar and pectin accordingly. With so much
screwing around it's no wonder the set isn't right.

Anny