Janet Bostwick

Default Biga breads - Carol Fields Bread book

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
snip
> I have followed all instructions diligently with the bigas, leaving them

> set various days. I have used variously a mixer and a food processor. I
> think her instructions for the food processor might be out of date

regarding
> how cold the starter should be before you put it into the processor, as

the
> new food processors do NOT heat up with the new low speed and dough/low
> settings. Do you use a mixer exclusively or do it by hand (I cannot do

it
> by hand because of physical limitations.)?
> Dee

Dee,
The issue is not that the food processor heats up, but rather that the
mixing/kneading of the dough causes the dough to warm. This occurs with the
KitchenAid, commercial mixers and more quickly/dangerously with a food
processor because the processing time is so quick. Roy Basan can probably
tell us what happens to the dough chemically with fast mixing and over-warm
dough. I do know that we want the final mixed temperature of the dough to
be (depending upon source) between 75-80F.
Janet