Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant Michael Plant is offline

Default Anxi Oolongs/finishes [was:What have you been drinking lately?]

snip snip

[Alex]
> One thing about the Anxi oolongs. I bought all of them (I have
> probably six or seven different sorts, in varying quantities) in
> wholesale markets in China. I love the taste, but compared to Formosa
> tea, the leaves just look like crap when unfolded, all chewed up. I
> don't know if this is a grade thing or a result of machine harvesting,
> and it would be great if someone can fill me in.

[Michael]
Can't really answer that except to say that a couple
days ago we were bemarking on the same thing. The
Taiwan leaves are really robust and most likely more
impervious to harm. I don't think the battering the
edges of Anxi leaves take is indicative of machining;
it could even be the other way round.

[Alex]
> So: does anyone have a recommendation for a truly high-grade
> tieguanyin, that is made to the same standards as Taiwanese gaoshancha?
> Available online please.

[Michael]
That last line of yours threw me as I was about to recommend
Silk Road Teas TGY No. 37, one of my personal favorites;
but alas, while their catalog (for what it's worth) is on line,
their business with you will be by phone and snail mail. I
get my TGY's locally (NYC), depending on those who hop
back and forth between China and the USA. (What a
worthless paragraph this turned out to be.)

But, on the
subject, what experiences are out there with *long* and
*complex* aftertastes and finishes on TGY and other
treasures of Anxi? For to me, finish and aftertaste are
necessary conditions, nearly sufficient, for fine and great
Oolong.

Best,
Michael