Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit Karen AKA Kajikit is offline

Default "meat flushing" or CO injections

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:01:17 -0700, "Curt Nelson"
> wrote:

>"Knit Chic" > wrote in message
t...
>>I thought this was interesting:
>> http://www.newsnet5.com/consumerspec...72/detail.html
>>
>> Local Grocery Stores Sell Meat Containing CO
>> Woman Fights For Safe Food After 2-Year-Old Dies

>I'm sort of wondering if a person isn't exposed to more CO when sitting in
>traffic. After all, when inhaled, it goes straight to the bloodstream.

It's not the CO2 that's the problem... if you read the article, the
danger of it is that it artificially colours the meat and takes away
the most obvious cue that the meat is getting 'old' and might not be
good to eat. The kid died because the meat had too much e-coli in it
and the parents didn't know...

I NEVER buy 'rubyred' meat because the odds are that it's been
treated... I'd rather take my chances with natural degradation than
have it covered up for me!