Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default "meat flushing" or CO injections

D.Currie wrote:

> I knew a guy who'd been in the butcher trade for a long time, but quit, so
> he was telling me stories about how things "used to be" in the business.
> Like ground beef. He said that it was common practice to mix crushed ice
> with the ground beef. Two reasons. One, it kept the meat looking red and
> pretty longer. And two, they were selling ice at ground beef prices. He said
> that when he bought ground beef "now" he'd pick up stew meat and ask for
> that to be ground for him.

Common practice for a practical reason. When you grind something you
also heat it. Ice is added to keep the meat at safe temperatures.

> He also said that one place he worked at would take chicken that was getting
> a little "off" and would soak it in something...I'm remembering he said
> milk, but I could be very wrong about that. Then they'd take the chicken and
> go sell it cheap to markets in poor neighborhoods.

No need to go to poor neighborhoods for that anumore.... All of the
"fresh" meat and poultry at your neighborhood Walamrt has been
soaked/saturated in something.