Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie[_1_] D.Currie[_1_] is offline

Default "meat flushing" or CO injections

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "aem" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Knit Chic wrote:
>>> [long snip]
>>> follow strict safety standards to continually ensure product does not
>>> remain
>>> on-shelf beyond the respective sell-by dates."
>>>
>>> Tops told 5 On Your Side, "If customers purchase any product which is
>>> not
>>> fresh, the store has a double your money back guarantee in place to give
>>> customers a 200 percent refund."

>> Typical corporate answers, probably crafted by lawyers. Neither one
>> answers the question, do we sell meat treated with carbon monoxide?
>> -aem
>>

> Reminds me of the news story a while back about the store that was
> *bleaching* fish. They took fish that had gone past it's date, or was
> returned for various reasons and bleached it to get rid of the "fishy"
> smell.
> I am grateful to have found a source of meat that I trust.

I knew a guy who'd been in the butcher trade for a long time, but quit, so
he was telling me stories about how things "used to be" in the business.
Like ground beef. He said that it was common practice to mix crushed ice
with the ground beef. Two reasons. One, it kept the meat looking red and
pretty longer. And two, they were selling ice at ground beef prices. He said
that when he bought ground beef "now" he'd pick up stew meat and ask for
that to be ground for him.

He also said that one place he worked at would take chicken that was getting
a little "off" and would soak it in something...I'm remembering he said
milk, but I could be very wrong about that. Then they'd take the chicken and
go sell it cheap to markets in poor neighborhoods.

So even when it was the nice old butcher guy, there were scams afoot, it
seems.

Donna