Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Ox Tails

In article >,
says...
> Dry browning the oxtails in a bit of oil first. Then toss in some chopped
> celery, onion and carrot, along with a bit of garlic, then add beef broth and a
> bit of tomato paste. Cover it and stick it in the oven at about 300 for a
> couple hours. If you want a thicker sauce you can remove the meat, bring the
> liquid to a boil and stir on some Veloutine or a gravy and water slurry/ You may
> need to pour off a bit of fat first.

This is a good approach, IMO. Even better, replace half of the broth
with a sturdy red wine. Beer might work too. I think of oxtails as a
winter dish - I cannot imagine making them in the summer. But then I
live in North Carolina where "hot and humid" is the state anthem.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at