Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ox Tails

DWACON wrote:

> Will be boiling some ox tails in beer -- hope I don't run out. Using dark
> beer... seems it would make a better gravy than the light.
>
> I tried this once before and the beer cooked away before I could get them
> tender.
>
> I am thinking of buying a pressure cooker -- although they aren't good with
> bubbly things like beer -- I like keeping a roof in my house. But any ideas
> for recipes to do this with a pressure cooker?

Dry browning the oxtails in a bit of oil first. Then toss in some chopped
celery, onion and carrot, along with a bit of garlic, then add beef broth and a
bit of tomato paste. Cover it and stick it in the oven at about 300 for a
couple hours. If you want a thicker sauce you can remove the meat, bring the
liquid to a boil and stir on some Veloutine or a gravy and water slurry/ You may
need to pour off a bit of fat first.