Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com is offline

Default Smoking Salmon

In alt.food.barbecue, tmfast > wrote:
> Hey all,
> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> their advise on their bullet site.
> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal,

What kind of charcoal do you use? To me, using good quality lump, "Tastes
like charcoal" means "tastes like it was cooked over hardwood embers",
which is a good thing.

One thing to try is to use lots more alder. Put a layer of lump in your
chimney, fill it mostly with alder chunks, and top it off with more
charcoal. Light it up, and when the alder is coated with red-hot coals,
dump it in the firebox. The inside of the alder will still be solid wood,
but you will not get a lot of crosote, because the hot gases will ignite
when they pass through the burning outside part. Instead, you will get a
delicious alder flavor.

not that smoky. Last
> time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked it
> over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
> taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon I
> find in those small packages from Alaska.
> Does anyone have any advise?

You could always skip the brine. It is necessary for cold smoking, but
not for hot smoking. Be sure the surface is dry. If there is a layer of
water covering the meat, it makes it harder for the smoke to penetrate.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow