Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default Smoking Salmon

"tmfast" > wrote in message
news:FMErg.1381$Ep.325@trnddc08...
> Hey all,
> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> their advise on their bullet site.
> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky.
> Last time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs.
> Smoked it over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no
> sugar taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the
> salmon I find in those small packages from Alaska.
> Does anyone have any advise?

Rather than brine curing, try a "dry rub" with salt, sugar and whatever
seasonings you want. Dill, as with gravlax, marries particularly well with
salmon. Cure this, wrapped in saran, for 2-3 days in the frig. and then
smoke at a very low temp. If I do brine, I do it only for 15 minutes.
Hope this helps.