Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Sonoran Dude Sonoran Dude is offline

Default Smoking Salmon

tmfast wrote:
> Hey all,
> I am looking for some fresh new opinions on how to smoke salmon in a
> vertical water smoker. I have "a weber smoky mountain". I have seen all
> their advise on their bullet site.
> I dont like the brown sugar brine, I can taste it. don't like it. I use
> lump with alder chunks, but still tastes like charcoal, not that smoky. Last
> time I just did a sal****er brine for 1 hr, let it dry for 2 hrs. Smoked it
> over lump & a few alder chunks for 3 hrs. Better, as there is no sugar
> taste. Still taste like coal. I am trying to get as close to the salmon I
> find in those small packages from Alaska.
> Does anyone have any advise?

I used the brown sugar cure on the bullet site and it was terrific. Only
I was out of space on my bullet so I cooked it on the top rack of a gas
grill with some foiled chips. It was delicious and cooked probably
quicker because of the direct heat... you need to throughly wash the
salt cure from the fillet very well before you proceed with the final spice.

For the type of salmon you want you may want to search for hot smoked
salmon recipe.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+salmon+recipe