Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default pressure instead of water bath canning

kurtk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are three any issues with pressure canning high acid items that could be
> done in a water bath canner? How would I convert times and pressure
> settings?
>
> Using a pressure canner is much more efficient than a water bath.

I dunno how you see the efficiency. 10# of pressure for an hour in a small
canner or 5-20 min of boiling water (depending on items, size, & altitude,
of course) for huge batches of stuff. I figger pressure canning high acid
stuff is overkill and overcooks the product. On our FAQ is a list of manuals
and texts that we find useful for any number of things. Where did you find
your info to pressure can high acid foods? And what type of foods are we
talking about? Jam? Pickles? Juices?
Edrena, faithful follower of St. Vinaigrette