Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will[_1_] Will[_1_] is offline

Default On Sourdough, Buttermilk, and Pancakes

Hans Fugal wrote:

> Hmm, methinks you are confused here. Mixing soda and cream of tartar is
> a substitute for baking powder, which is basically baking soda and a
> powdered acid like cream of tartar. If the soda adds odd flavors then
> you have too much soda or not enough acid.

-----------------
Indeed... it is a substitute for baking powder. My bad, I should have
stated that.
And since my results have been better with this substitute, I think you
are right. I must have been using too much soda before... or maybe the
buttermilk was too mild. I have shifted to culturing my own since
Nightingale posted that little gem a while back. I will try soda alone
next time.
------------------

> > If you nail the milling, they are light enough to float off the plate.

> Which sounds absolutely dreadful. If there's one thing I can't stand
> it's a pancake so light and fluffy that it absorbs 3 cups of syrup and
> still tastes dry.

<pontification alert>

Who said anything about syrup? You can't use syrup on a pancake, you
get glop. Fruit and well drained yogurt cheese. The closest we get to
syrup is soaking (and blending) dried fruit for a sweet sauce... Prunes
are great or even a bit of crushed poppy seed with butter. No syrup.
Might as well go to IHOP.

<end alert>