Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Hans Fugal Hans Fugal is offline

Default On Sourdough, Buttermilk, and Pancakes

Will wrote:
> Hans Fugal wrote:
>
>> So here's my plan:
>>
>> 1c start
>>
>> 1/2c flour
>> 1t soda
>> 1/3t salt
>>
>> 1 egg
>> 1/2c milk
>> 5t oil
>>

>> My questions: do you think it's a good plan (tomorrow I'll find out
>> empirically), specifically is the soda amount still relevant and is the
>> flour/start proportion good for flavor and non-rubberiness? Mostly I'm
>> interested in your pontificating theories for the sake of speculation.

> -----------------------
>

> <ok... pontification alert>
>
> Nope. About half of your total flour is committed to water before the
> batter is made. Gluten will form and the pancakes will not be tender. I
> suppose if you made an extremely thin starter to reduce the flour but
> still generate acid it might go.`

The thin starter is a good idea, I may try it. I wonder what the
thinnest you could go while still getting a good culture would be...

> Why not just work on the buttermilk end? The result is best with no

What, ditch sourdough altogether? Actually sourdough pancakes (so far)
have not ranked high on my list of great things to make with sourdough,
but I have to wonder if all sourdough pancakes are rubbery disasters
that people love anyway because of the sourdough taste.

> water, all buttermilk. I would culture some whole milk with a
> tablespoon or two of buttermilk and leave it out (covered) overnight.
> In the morning you should be at the thick, sweet smelling stage. There
> will be plenty of acid for the rise and with whole milk you can omit
> the oil as well. The pancakes will be much lighter and still have
> plenty of mouth-feel. Save your oil use for the pan. Makes the cakes
> crisper, gives them a visually pleasing surface.

FBOW whole milk is just as hard to come by in my house as buttermilk.
Actually harder, because not only do I have to remember to request it
before shopping day, but I have to convince my wife I actually need
_whole_ milk.

> 100% white flour pancakes aren't so hot either. Freshly milled corn
> flour is a terrific addition. 35% corn flour is a good place to start.

We often use various kinds of whole grain mixed. Much more intresting.

> Baking soda leavens well but can add odd flavors (which is why folks
> add oil + too much sugar to the batter). Try a 50-50 blend of baking
> soda and cream of tartar instead.

Hmm, methinks you are confused here. Mixing soda and cream of tartar is
a substitute for baking powder, which is basically baking soda and a
powdered acid like cream of tartar. If the soda adds odd flavors then
you have too much soda or not enough acid.

> If you nail the milling, they are light enough to float off the plate.

Which sounds absolutely dreadful. If there's one thing I can't stand
it's a pancake so light and fluffy that it absorbs 3 cups of syrup and
still tastes dry.