Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Séb Séb is offline

Default Potassium sorbate, sweet wines, dessert wines, etc

if the wine is fined and clear and
> filtered on top of that with a fine filter, the chances of
> refermentation are pretty remote. You can't afford refermentation if
> you sell the wine but us amateurs, it's not such a big deal.

Hi Pp,

Sorry but I don't really agree with these two sentences. Finning a
sweet wine and filtering it will not assure a stable wine in regard to
re-fermentation as long as you don't go below 0,45 micron filtration.
The way you write it mean if I have a clear finned sweet wine that
where filtered ( you did not mention anything about the tightness of
the filter media ) it won't have a lot of chance for re-fermentation.
This is I think false, you have certainly more than 50% chance of
re-fermentation if you do not filter with 0,45 micron. Filtering with
0,50 micron with no sorbate is maybe around 10% chance of
re-fermentation but I will never do it again ( I did in the past and
had one re-ferment ).

For the second part you say this is no big deal for amateur if it
referment. Again, it's like saying if you have a fault in your wine
it's no big deal as we only are amateur ? I think we should all try
to make the best wine possible whatever we are amateur or pro. A sweet
wine that is stable in regard to re-fermentation is a well made wine.
A sweet wine that where not correctly stabilize and re-ferment will be
hazy and will have an innapropriate fizzy + could have off-flavors.
Don't forget that if we talk about icewine for example the real juice
is quite expensive and one should take "extra" care

Séb