Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default Potassium sorbate, sweet wines, dessert wines, etc

I would say this is one area where we tend to go over the top - yes,
the wine is not guaranteed to be stable in 100% of cases if the filter
is not absolute. But in practice, if the wine is fined and clear and
filtered on top of that with a fine filter, the chances of
refermentation are pretty remote. You can't afford refermentation if
you sell the wine but us amateurs, it's not such a big deal. If you
don't mind sorbate and can't notice it in wine, then it doesn't really
matter, but if you do, then I'd say go ahead and at least do some test
runs side by side, sorbated wine against just filtered and compare.

If you decide to use sorbate, then go with the recommended minimal
levels as Seb said. I've posted a reference here last week I think on
this subject but here it is again - the original source of the info is
Peynaud:

http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/sorbate.htm

Pp