Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Hans Fugal Hans Fugal is offline

Default On Sourdough, Buttermilk, and Pancakes

I have a buttermilk pancake recipe that I like, and I am hard to please
with pancakes. Buttermilk is such a pain, I'd rather use sourdough start
which I have handy anytime (provided I put it out the night before). I'd
like to keep the creamy taste, have some of the good sourdough/sour
taste, and most importantly not end up with rubbery or too fluffy pancakes.

I think the rubber effect I so often observe when I try to make
sourdough pancakes is due to the gluten formed in the start, so I think
one needs to use some start and some fresh flour to offset this.

Here's the original recipe:

3c flour
1T soda
1t salt

3c buttermilk
4 eggs
1/3c oil

This makes way too much for just the two of us, so I quarter the recipe.
To make the measurements easier I then 4/3 the recipe (so 1/3
altogether), except the egg, but I think it's ok, and I fudge on the oil
by 1/3t.

So here's my plan:

1c start

1/2c flour
1t soda
1/3t salt

1 egg
1/2c milk
5t oil

My questions: do you think it's a good plan (tomorrow I'll find out
empirically), specifically is the soda amount still relevant and is the
flour/start proportion good for flavor and non-rubberiness? Mostly I'm
interested in your pontificating theories for the sake of speculation.