Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alexis[_1_] Alexis[_1_] is offline

Default Recipe clarification: "cook until chocolate is just set"

Alex Rast wrote:
> at Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:44:56 GMT in <1151887496.754207.224020@
> 75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, (Alexis) wrote :
>
> >I'm making Napoleons today with a new chocolate recipe for the
> >chocolate layer (recipe below). The cooking instructions include the
> >line, "bake, covered with aluminum foil, until just set."
> >
> >Any idea how long that might be? I'd tried it once today and let it
> >bake for about 25 minutes at the recommended 300degF. It was still
> >liquid, and honestly I'm afraid to let it burn.

> Just set = middle jiggles while edges look like Jello. Like other posters,
> I'm surprised they don't recommend a water bath and from the recipe you
> have, I think it would do no harm to do the whole thing inside a water bath
> in the oven. A large roasting pan (a full-size hotel pan is ideal) would be
> good for a water bath. You can keep the same oven temperature. (or increase
> it slightly). The foil cover is a bit unusual. I presume that's in an
> effort to prevent a top film. It does make it more difficult to check.

Yes, that's another thing about it that bugged me. I wonder if I
messed it up by taking it out to check so many times. Had there been
an "about" cooking time, I'd not have pulled it so often.

> If you have access to an instant-read thermometer, during cooking you can
> use that to gauge the proper point to remove. Aim for about 70C/160F in the
> middle.
>
> I wouldn't try reheating what you've already done. My suspicion is that the
> results would be unpredictable.

Thanks, Alex. I wish I'd thought of the instant-read option (although
I wouldn't have, at the time, knows what to shoot for <g>).

Last night I went ahead and portioned out the 'sauce' into ramikins
(about 1/3C in each), and then cooked them at the same 300degF temp in
a bain marie (another thing I should have considered). After about
another 45 minutes (going from cold fridge, out for about 10 minutes
while I set up the water, then to the oven, so it was still cool -- not
room temp) it was definitely more 'set' although not completely -- not
anything I'd use on a Napoleon. However, it was *excellent* with
unsweetened raspberries (from my freezer -- leftover from last year's
crop). I suspect I'll keep the recipe -- but do it in the smaller
containers and with dark chocolate (that's what I used this time) for a
different style dessert.

Alexis.