Scott T. Jensen

Default The seven major cuisines of the world?

"MrAoD" > wrote:
> "Scott T. Jensen" writes:
> >Hypothetical situation: Your kitchen services a boarding school with
> >children from around the world.

> Oddly enough I know a woman who went to a Swiss boarding school
> whose student body was international. One Friday a month the dinner
> was whale meat. To this day she can't abide fish of any sort.

Humorous story. I didn't know there was such a demand for whale meat. :-)

> Trust me, the nuns were more interested in developing minds and souls
> than in bellies.

Yeah, teaching nuns tend to be that way. My hypothetical school wouldn't
be. It would view excellent food as one of the way to make the student body
happy. Happy to be attending the school and happy as they do their studies.

> IMO seven cuisines aren't enough.

How chefs (separate cuisines) would be enough?

> I like the idea another poster had about using chefs who
> specialized in various aspects of cuisine - meat, vegetables,
> breads, etc - but even that would require the chefs to
> collaborate on a menu - somehow I can't see say, Friday's
> menu looking like
> Breakfast - meat
> Lunch - meat
> Dinner - meat
>
> Too much like spam, spam, eggs and spam.

Even though Spam is a magical meat?

The idea is to give complete control over the kitchen to the chef on the day
they're to work to create as they see fit and not have a battle of the chef
egos. That and to break up the monotony the same food all the time and/or
done with same mindset/approach. A chef has a certain style in their
cooking and that tends to come through no matter what they cook, especially
if it isn't their main cuisine.

> 1. East Asia
> 2. South Asia
> 3. Southern Europe/Mediterranean (includes Italy/Greece)
> 4. Northern Europe (Alsatian chef, swings between French
> and German
> 5. Spain (preferably a Latin/Southern American chef trained
> in classical
> Spanish cuisine)
> 6. Arabic/North African
> 7. Eastern Europe/Balkans

Thanks for your recommendations.

> American (US) I'd skip. Given our cuisine is largely derived
> from successive waves of physical and cultural immigrants it
> shouldn't be hard for any of the other chefs to cover that
> particular section of the water front.

The idea was to have an "American" day of food each week, as there's
expected to be a significant number of American students. The idea being to
make one day different from the day before. Given that intent, would you
still not include American? If you would then, how would your seven
cuisines change?

Also, for me to better understand your recommendations, I'd appreciate your
evaluation of Snapper's. His was as follows:

> 1. Asian/Pacific Rim (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai,
> Vietnamese, Aussie, etc.)
>
> 2. Eastern European (including Russian, and maybe Austrian(?))
>
> 3. Western European (German, French, Italian, Austrian(?))
>
> 4. Asian Subcontinental (Indian, Bangladeshi, etc.)
>
> 5. Latin (including Spanish, Mexican, South and Central
> American, Caribbean)
>
> 6. American (including the traditional regional foods,
> California cuisine, Soul Food, etc.)
>
> 7. Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/African (This would
> include Kosher and Halal cooking)

Scott Jensen
--
Got a business question, problem, or dream?
Discuss it with the professionals that hang out at...