Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alexis[_1_] Alexis[_1_] is offline

Default Recipe clarification: "cook until chocolate is just set"

I'm making Napoleons today with a new chocolate recipe for the
chocolate layer (recipe below). The cooking instructions include the
line, "bake, covered with aluminum foil, until just set."

Any idea how long that might be? I'd tried it once today and let it
bake for about 25 minutes at the recommended 300degF. It was still
liquid, and honestly I'm afraid to let it burn. It's cooled now, but if
it can go back into the oven to "finish", I'd like that (right now I
think it will make a great ice cream topping, but not a napoleon
layer).

Thanks,

Alexis.
(PS - the vanilla angalise that goes with it is to die for)

Chocolate Silk

2 C milk
2 C heavy cream
14 oz granulated sugar, divided
1 lb (58 percent cocoa) chocolate, finely chopped
8 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch salt
4 T cocoa powder
14 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Bring milk and cream with 1/2 of the
sugar to a boil.
Place chocolate in a large bowl and pour the hot milk mixture over. Let
sit for 1 minute then whisk until smooth.

Whisk the yolks, remaining sugar, vanilla, and salt together. Sift in
the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Combine milk and egg mixture,
and whisk in the butter. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.

Pour into a half sheet pan and bake, covered with aluminum foil, until
just set. Refrigerate until cold.