MrAoD

Default The seven major cuisines of the world?

"Scott T. Jensen" writes:

>Hypothetical situation: Your kitchen services a boarding school with
>children from around the world.

Oddly enough I know a woman who went to a Swiss boarding school whose student
body was international. One Friday a month the dinner was whale meat. To this
day she can't abide fish of any sort.

Trust me, the nuns were more interested in developing minds and souls than in
bellies.

IMO seven cuisines aren't enough. I like the idea another poster had about
using chefs who specialized in various aspects of cuisine - meat, vegetables,
breads, etc - but even that would require the chefs to collaborate on a menu -
somehow I can't see say, Friday's menu looking like
Breakfast - meat
Lunch - meat
Dinner - meat

Too much like spam, spam, eggs and spam.

1. East Asia
2. South Asia
3. Southern Europe/Mediterranean (includes Italy/Greece)
4. Northern Europe (Alsatian chef, swings between French and German
5. Spain (preferably a Latin/Southern American chef trained in classical
Spanish cuisine)
6. Arabic/North African
7. Eastern Europe/Balkans

American (US) I'd skip. Given our cuisine is largely derived from successive
waves of physical and cultural immigrants it shouldn't be hard for any of the
other chefs to cover that particular section of the water front.

Best,

Marc
6.
5.