Kate Connally

Default Beef Navel

Louis Cohen wrote:

> "Into the Fire" on FoodTV the other night did a piece on the Carnegie Deli.
> They showed the plant where Carnegie processes raw beef into their corned
> beef and pastrami. When a shipment came in, the guy from Carnegie asked
> whether the shipment was corned beef or navels.
>
> I assume that when he said corned beef, he meant brisket. But what's beef
> navel? That is, where's Bossie's pupick?
> A brief web search suggests that navel is the traditional cut for pastrami,
> and that navel is sometimes called plate,

This is so weird. I haven't heard of plate in years.
And now twice in a very short time! My sister and I were
talking a couple of weeks ago about homemade vegetable soup
which I had just made and she was asking what meat I used.
I said that I always used to use short ribs (as that's what
I remember my mother and grandmother using) but I haven't
used them for years. Seems since Korean food got trendy
what used to be cheap "trash" meat is now too expensive for
my pocket. (Same with chicken wings, dammit!) Anyhow, she
said she remembered Gram using plate. I then recalled that
we used to use plate for something but I have no idea what.
And I have no idea what part of the cow it is. My sister
said she thought it was similar to skirt steak used in
fajitas. Anyway, I have never seen it in the stores in the
last 20 or so years that I recall. I thought they just didn't
sell that cut anymore or maybe it has a new name. I know
that a lot of the cuts of meat I was used to from Pittsburgh
were different when I was living in Calif. Either they didn't
have that cut or the called it something else.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”