Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi Musashi is offline

Default Japanese vs Korean/Chinese Cuisine IMHO

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, Musashi
> > wrote:
>
> > Kimchi is good stuff.
> > It's quite popular in Japan as well mostly because of the
> > fairly large Korean immigrant population, but the kimchi in
> > Japan, as well as stuff I've had in the US isn't overly fermented. Which

is
> > the way I like it.

> And where is the kimchi "overly fermented"? Just in Korea. All the
> Korean dining I've done has been in Korean owned-and-run restaurants in
> Garden Grove, CA, in the Little Korea there. Logic says that would be
> pretty much the real deal, right?

Probably but not definitely. I say this because Korean friends talk about
kimchi in
terms of numbers of days in the pot, and as with any foods, preferences may
vary
depending on geography.

> Or is that a North/South thing? I never really think of this stuff as
> particularly fermented, but then I haven't really been comparing it to
> anything else.

Have you ever opened a jar of Korean kimchi and had the jar go PSSSSSS from
the gas?
But the kimchi I've had in the US in Korean owned/run restaurants have never
been
so fermented.