Vox Humana

Default Falling cheesecake

"L. Raymond" > wrote in message
> I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
> cheesecake from falling. When it bakes (12 mins. at 450 degrees
> followed by 55 mins. at 300), it expands to almost a half inch above
> the rim of the pan, but I've never been able to cool it without having
> it fall about 1/4 inch below the rim. Actually, if I could keep it
> from expanding so much to begin with, I suspect that would help, but I
> don't know what to adjust. It still tastes fine, and everyone who's
> eaten some always takes several pieces home, but I think it's too
> dense at the end.
> Besides vanilla and lemon extract, the ingredients include 40 oz.
> cream cheese, 3 T flour, 1.75 C sugar, 4-5 eggs + 2 yolks and 1/4 C
> cream.

Here is a slightly different view of the problem. It's not that you have a
problem with your cheesecake falling. Your problem is that it expanded.
While there will be some expansion, you want to minimize it. The most
common error it to over-beat the mixture. This incorporates too much air
and expansion follows. As others have mentioned, moderating the temperature
with a water bath will help. You will not only avoid over-expansion, but
the texture will be better. Follow the advice about slow cooling. Also,
when you do remove the cake from the oven, release it from the sides of the
pan before letting it come to room temperature.