Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kane John Kane is offline

Default Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

wrote:
> I will be a college student soon
>
> That means moving furnishings back forth between home
> and apartment at school
>
> I will be an adult college student so living alone in
> apartment... NOT in dorm
>
> Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
> combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
> microwave and toaster oven?

If you can find one yes, definately, at least I loved mine. The
ability to bake bread in it was the best part.

> Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
> microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?

>From the toaster ovens I have seen: NO. A decent convection oven might

but I am not sure. The toaster ovens I have seen are just too small for
a lot of things.

> You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
> well...so don't want to have to haul that around if possible

Well is it easier to haul around one rather heavy piece or two medium
pieces. I'd say that it is a toss-up. I would also think about
self/counter space. Unless you can stack the toaster over/ microwave
you are going in to use a lot of counter space.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada